- Karrantza Harana, Biscay
- Baztán Valley, Navarre
- Roncal Valley, Navarre
The TGT Cheese Gastronomic Route: visiting the cheese factories of Navarre and the Basque Country
And that’s because cheese is one of the star products. Discover the route taking in the cheeses of the North along with the forests and rivers and the villages with their enormous farmhouses. From the history and natural wealth of the Karrantza valley, where we make our Euskolabel cheese, dairy and vegetable creams; to the Baztán valley: a valley steeped in nature and an emblematic river that has given rise to a trilogy of novels. This is where we make our finest gourmet cheeses. “Leyendas de Baztán” with Truffle, Brown Ale and Txacolí (a dry white wine from the Basque Country). Finishing up in the Roncal Valley, where we have the Enaquesa cheese factory and we make our classic cheese: the Ronkari. This route taking in pure nature and cheese is ideal for a three or four-day getaway by car to enjoy yourselves and get away from the city.
The three cheese factories are located in the Basque Country and Navarre, regions with strong cultural traditions, a unique gastronomy and landscapes full of pure nature. This tour is a rediscovery of spots which are synonymous with flavour.
01 LÁCTEOS DE KARRANTZA (BISCAY)
Karrantza is an area with plenty of history, from the Palaeolithic period up to the Renaissance, from Indian culture to the traditional farmhouses.
Come and visit our Lácteos de Karrantza cheese factory, where you will discover the Euskolabel cheese, creams and other products. You can arrange a guided tour by appointment by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Places to spend the night: There are just a few options in the valley, we therefore recommend that you book in advance. The Termas de Molinar Spa is a 19th century spa or alternatively there is the Alma de Romero Hotel.
· Suggestions for eating out: Casa Garras in the Concha neighbourhood.
02 THE BAZTÁN VALLEY (NAVARRE)
Our “Leyendas de Baztán” raw milk cheeses originate in a land of legends, surrounded by reservoirs, rivers and villages with enormous farmhouses. Our selection of cheeses with gourmet ingredients such as: truffle, brown ale and Txacolí (a dry white wine from the Basque Country). You can arrange a guided tour by appointment by contacting: email@example.com.
· Places to spend the night: Hostal Trinkete, is located in the centre of the town of Elizondo and next to the mythical bridge of Baztán novels.
· Suggestions for eating out: Santxotena in Elizondo, this restaurant also appears in the film of the trilogy.
03 THE RONCAL VALLEY (NAVARRE)
The Pyrenees taste of cheese in the Roncal Valley. Our Ronkari PDO cheese reflects the tradition and know-how of the ancient way of making cheese with raw milk from the Latxa and Navarre sheep breeds. It has an extraordinary texture and flavour and is made at the Enaquesa cheese factory in Navarre. You can arrange a guided tour by appointment by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Places to spend the night: Hostal Lola in Isaba. A town of narrow cobbled streets that seems to have been taken from another era.
· Suggestions for eating out: Erdialde Restaurant in Garde, Errota Erretegia (meaning mill in the Basque language) Grill House in Aia.